Friday, September 02, 2016

Poetry Seven Write Clogyrnach

This month the Poetry Seven crew wrote in the form of the clogyrnach (clog-IR-nach). The clogyrnach is a Welsh poetic meter that falls under the poetic form of awdl (odes). They are composed of any number of 6-line stanzas. Each stanza has 32 syllables. The first couplet is 8 syllables with an end rhyme of aa, the second couplet is 5 syllables with an end rhyme of bb, and the final couplet is is 3 syllables with an end rhyme of ba. In some variations the poem is written as a 5-line stanza with the 5th line composed of 6 syllables. 

I had several false starts as I noodled around with this one. I'll admit I'm not a fan of this form, and I generally love form. Ultimately, it was the earthquake in Italy that I kept coming back to as a topic.

Terremoto in Amatrice

Under the olive tree we stand
among the ruins of this land
cradling hearts numb
as aftershocks come
our hearts drum out of hand

We mourn those lost in rubble heaps
toppled homes wet by tears we weep
medieval town
broken and cast down
quiet sounds of pain deep

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2016. All rights reserved.

You can read the poems written by my Poetry Seven compatriots at the links below.
I do hope you'll take some time to check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Penny Parker Klostermann. Happy poetry Friday friends!

15 comments:

  1. Isn't it weird how it has to be topical to work? I tried to write about vague things like, oh, feelings or whatnot, but if the feeling wasn't HUGE within me, meh - it didn't work.

    And yet, even though I kind of hate the form, with the longer form, it has some... heft...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you've chosen to use just two stanzas here---it somehow feels like you're respecting the grief by not overdoing it, but not stopping short, either. I would never have attempted to write about the earthquake---brava, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH TRICIA -- that first stanza -- it is so beautiful and heartbreaking. Honestly, that's a masterful use of this form. I'm blown away....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and sad. A nice tribute to those who lost loved ones in the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. And sad. And, according to Sara's research, in keeping with the tradition of this form (funerals and weddings). <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. cradling hearts numb / as aftershocks come - Yes--and I love the olive trees. Great mix of pain and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the olive trees, and the whole first stanza. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Tricia--

    I agree with most of the sisters that the form somehow feels a little contraflow--like it fights against a comfortable expectation of rhythm, but not in a good way. I bet it works well in Welsh and not as "Welsh" in English! But your poem, especially that first stanza is beautiful, especially "our hearts drum out of hand."

    ReplyDelete
  9. The results of your labor are stunning. Mourning this disaster with beautiful words:
    cradling hearts numb
    as aftershocks come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful tribute to a tragic reality. Truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read several of these already today, but I realize I've been reading the name wrong. I thought it was clogymach, and turns out it is clogyrnach. Either way, you've chosen a topic near to my heart. I've been avoiding reading about the Italian earthquake, but I always grieve when there are earthquakes in the news. Ruth, from Haiti

    ReplyDelete
  12. For someone who didn't like this form, you sure made it work--the heartbreak of this tragedy comes through, especially in the first stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely, Tricia, and so heartfelt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting to see you use what can be a sing-song form with such a serious topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tricia, I am glad that I backtracked to the posts I did not read at PF to find this wonderful form poem of yours. Tragedy has its own way of letting voice rise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete